My Full Time Athlete
How can I be a Successful Athlete?
The question of the century! There are of course no right or wrong ways to be successful athlete. What works for you is great and what doesn’t may work for someone else. Today, I thought I would share 15 things that can help you be a successful athlete.
1. Have Goals! Every athlete needs goals. Set them high but remember to be realistic and honest with yourself in your abilities.
2. Trust your coach! This is so tough especially when you are dealing with fear. New tasks and challenges may be scary but remember that without your coach you would not be where you are today. Believe them when they tell you that you are able to do something because it is only a chance for you to be even more amazing than you already are! Your coach wants you to be the best that you can be, so they are going to do everything in their power to get your there. Whether that is motivate you, help you through a tough experience, push you beyond your limits or make sure you conquer your fears. It may even mean that they keep you all night until you complete your tasks! It will not always a happy time for you but your coach always has a purpose! Look for that purpose!
3. Be determined to succeed even when it feels impossible or if you have made a mistake. You are going to make 1000 mistakes and probably 1000 more so be okay with that and don’t let them hold you back from trying even harder! What is the point of being upset about something that you know is going to happen no matter what. Mistakes are part of learning.
4. Be positive during the time that it takes to accomplish your goals, and dreams. Sometimes it takes time to achieve goals just like it takes time to learn math or how to write. Be positive during that time and you will be proud of yourself.
5. Be the best you can be even if your best is not at 100% that day. You can’t always be 100%. I wish we could all be perfect everyday but… PSYCH!!!… it’s impossible. Try not to be upset if you are trying your best and it is just not going the way you want it to. It’s normal and I promise you are not the only one struggling! As long as you keep looking forward and trying to do better your reward will come. It may not come when you want it to but if you push through you will be thankful in the end!
6. Always strive to be better than you were yesterday! If you forgot to do this I am sorry to say but you wasted your day. Steps may be small but as long as they go forward it is progress. Time is too valuable to waste and you are too important to forget about making yourself better!
7. Take risks! This is a scary thing in competitive sport because risks could mean putting your body through very physically demanding challenges. Make sure your body is ready for those risks but don’t be afraid to take them if it is the right time. If you don’t take them you could be one step behind from where you should be tomorrow!
8. Downtime is a must: You need personal time to unwind and relax. Take a break from your goals and have some fun with friends, read a book, play a game, go see a movie, or do whatever your body and mind needs to unwind from your crazy sport life. Your body needs rest to be able to perform properly.
9. Eat healthy foods that will give your body energy and strength to be able to meet all of the demanding physical requirements needed to be the best athlete that you can be. Your body is like a car. It needs fuel to be able to start but it also needs to be treated well otherwise it will break down.
10. Most importantly believe in yourself! If you don’t believe in yourself your mind and body will not connect. As an athlete it is your job to convince your mind that your body is capable of doing whatever it is you are supposed to be do! You deserve what you worked for!
There are obviously so many more things you can do to be a better athlete but I thought I would share the ones I feel that are most important. You may have other things that drive you to be the best you can be every day! If they work I am so proud that you have found your way. If not, just know you can always make a different choice. There is always a choice!
“You are your own most powerful motivator and critic. Which will you be?”